Thursday, July 8, 2010


SirenBlog with Bite would like to introduce Tricia Rayburn, author of Siren.  She's stopped by to tell us a little bit about her book, and the finned females that grace it's pages.  Please give a warm welcome to Ms. Rayburn, and don't forget to enter the contest we have going on for her book.  Enter Here.




**********

Growing up, I wanted to be two things: a librarian, and Madison from the movie Splash.  I knew it would be tough—books and water don’t exactly make a perfect match—but I didn’t care.  Somehow, someway, I was going to explore the ocean’s depths, have beautiful, long blonde hair, meet a cute guy who’d love me despite my occasionally pesky tail, and be surrounded by stories.

Now, twenty-something years later, I’m closer to those goals than I ever really thought possible.  I have neither beautiful, long blonde hair nor pesky tail (whew!), but I’ve explored the ocean’s depths and I’m surrounded by stories.  More specifically, I’ve written Siren, a story featuring seductively stunning ladies who can breathe underwater as easily as they can on land.  Like me and unlike Madison, these ladies don’t have tails…but they don’t need them to reel in the many cute guys they set their silvery sights on.

A lack of fins isn’t the only difference between Madison and my ladies of the sea.  The bigger, more important one is motivation.  Madison’s worst crimes are cracking a few TV screens with her sea-girl screech, and not being entirely forthcoming about who she is with Allen, the cute guy she first meets underwater when they’re both kids and with whom she unexpectedly reunites years later.  In my story, the sirens use their physical prowess to entice unsuspecting boys with the intention of growing even more powerful and wreaking even more havoc on the small resort town of Winter Harbor, Maine.  This is something 17-year-old Vanessa Sands, Siren’s main character, will learn the hard way as she tries to solve the mystery of her older sister’s death.

I suppose I could’ve made my sirens sweeter.  After all, not a single life was lost in Splash, and that was a great story that stayed with me for years and years.  But would readers have been satisfied with a similar happy ending?  Two decades ago I would’ve thought yes, absolutely.  Today, I’m not so sure.  Either way, I hope they enjoy exploring the sea in Siren!

4 comments:

VampAngel said...

Hi!

I'm stopping by via the blog hop. I love this place! I'm a follower and I have the button!

Have a good friday and happy reading!


VampAngel
VampAngel's Reviews: To Read or Not To Read It? That is The Question

Samantha R. said...

Just began following you and I love your Siren Week, that's so cool! I'll definitely have to enter your contest!

Readaholics said...

Hey stopping by via Follow Friday!
Love your story!

Shari said...

Found you on the hop and looking forward to reading a lot more of what you've reviewed. New follower! Shari over at myneuroticbookaffair.blogspot.com