Wednesday, October 14, 2009

HBIC Seeker Review on Covet


Covet by J.R. Ward Review by Tina at Tinasbookreviews
Well, this was my first J.R. Ward book and I guess I'm going to go against the popular vote and be the sore thumb on this one because I have one word....Blaaaacccchhhhhh!!!!! OK so maybe Blach is not a word but it for sure is the sound of me retching. From page one I had a bad taste in my mouth, it kind of felt like Sex and the City meets a bad Tarantino movie minus the funny spinsters. I'm not a prude by any means and I adore a good love story, I can even handle a nice steamy love scene but sex with no substance and raunchy scenes for shock value just seems shoddy to me. So Ill call it like I read it...trashy, trashy, trashy and not my cup of tea. The analogy of Demons and Angels was ridiculous, not even a fellow paranormal fan like myself can believe the hogwash of this made up spiritual world. Demon, taken out of the Websters dictionary: 1 a : an evil spirit b : a source or agent of evil, harm, distress, or ruin. Jim a harmless hot man with chiseled abs who rides a motorcycle (did you see the cover, Ive never seen a man at least not in my lifetime who rides a bike shirtless with a hot leather jacket) helps people with his assigned missions we the readers get the sense he's a good guy trying to amend his fallen ways to get into heaven. That's what I made of it but who knows things could have changed after pg.200. So my rule of thumb if a book isn't sitting well with me whether it be crappy writing, a bad story or unease I don't finish it. I read half of this skimmed the rest and read the last chapter. So maybe that doesn't qualify me to write a full review but in the 200 pages I did read I got the gist of the story. Is there anything positive I can say about this book, I guess I can see the one character Marie-Therese who is likable and your all around favorite who overcomes in the story. Also Vin who is an unbelievable cad in the beginning get to see develop and change, at least to the point where I read he was making some progress in the right direction at redeeming himself. Perhaps because Ive never read any of Ward's other books I felt a bit jipped, like some characters and things being said had a background story. The lingo in the book was foolish, overall I didn't like it and I found the authors writing offensive and trashy. I would not recommend this to anyone.
0/5 Paranormal Romance and I want my five bucks back!
Discussion Questions
Q#1 - Did you relate to Jim at all? Did you feel like he was a good choice or worthy of this mission?
No..People don't get do overs once their dead, no missions after death will get you into Heaven. Maybe that's why I didn't like this book.
Q#2 - How do you feel about the tone of the book? Did you think that there was too much slang/not enough/just enough? How did you feel about the word choice in the book- did it add to your reading of the story or take away from it?
As in my review I thought the lingo was foolish, I was shaking my head a lot and felt it really took away from the story. I think the author spent to much time trying to be hip and cool and Ive never heard anyone talk like that.
Q#3 - When the "fantasy" of the book is based on a belief system that is regarded as truth by some religions (the angels & demons) does it help you relate better with the story, as opposed to a story about vampires and werewolves?
I could relate because I myself believe in Angels and Demons. I wouldn't put this story anywhere on the same basis of vampires or werewolves. I think Wards view of Demons is twisted... Vamps and Weres kind of all relate to the dark side of fantasy. Its just lately vampires have gotten real trendy in the YA world, most Vampire stories Ive read are pretty dark and when the Vampire is a Demon...ugh scary....
Q#4 - In the opening of this book we read about a football game analogy of Demons verses Angels, even though this is fiction what do think of Demons being portrayed as "Good Guys"?
NO WAY.. a demon is evil, I don't want to get know them, like them or relate to one in anyway shape or form fiction or not no thanks!
Q#5 - How do you feel knowing this will be a 7 book series featuring Jim and he might win all of the battles?
I feel nothing- I wont read them so I don't have to worry about it!

4 comments:

PeaceLove&Pat said...

you are not alone on your Blaaaacccchhhhhh!!!!! on the first Ward experience. I feel the same way.

ParaJunkee said...

LOL - Have my fingers crossed for Intertwined!

Lexie said...

this isn't my first Ward experience, but gosh I musta forgotten how much I disliked the BDB book I had happened upon that time...

Lexie

PeaceLove&Pat said...

Parajunkee. So far I am looooving Intertwined. Really interesting. :)